Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Mothership Maggie Stables Tribute by Simon Mallinson



Maggie Stables (Evelyn Smythe)

We at Project Torchwood, would like to send condolences to the family of Maggie Stables, who after a long illness, finally embarked on the long journey into the unknown.

Maggie was an ever loved part of Big Finish, whether as a character player or in the guise of the ever adorable Evelyn Smythe.  The skill of Maggie was ever present, as well as the passion she put in every performance.

Maggie starred in Big Finish’s first story Sirens of Time and went on to become a companion of the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) and then the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy).  The character Evelyn fought many enemies with wit, charm, luck and sassyness.  She never failed to make the Doctor do the right thing and became a sort of conscious.

My first encounter with Maggie was in her Evelyn guise, during the webcast Real Time.  From the first moment I heard her voice, I fell in love with this woman and both laughed and cried with the storyline.

This was the spark, that made me want to know more, and search out other Big Finish stories.  So you can say Maggie was the woman who introduced me to the world of imagination and fantasy that is Big Finish.  Maggie I will be forever grateful, and sad I never got to say so in real life.  Without Maggie, I would not be writing reviews about Big Finish so thank you Maggie, you are forever loved by the fans and especially me.


No comments:

Post a Comment