Tuesday 28 October 2014

Beyond The TARDIS The Maze Runner by "Witch's Cat"



Book written by James Dashner
Screenplay written by Noah Oppenheim, Grant Pierce Myers
T.S. Nowlin
Directed by Wes Ball
Age Rating: 12A

I only gave the book two stars and wasn't particularly impressed with it. I did, however, hold high hopes for the film. I feel that the story was written to become a film, the descriptions in the book are perfectly translated to the big screen.
I will say, right away, that I thoroughly enjoyed The Maze Runner film.

“When Thomas wakes us trapped in a massive maze with a group of other boys, he has no memory of the outside world other than strange dreams about a mysterious organisation known as W.C.K.D. Only by piecing together fragments of his past with clues he discovers in the maze can Thomas hope to uncover his true purpose and a way to escape. Based upon the best-selling novel by James Dashner.”
~IMDB

The critics gave The Maze Runner 63%.  “With strong acting, a solid premise, and refreshingly dark approach to its dystopian setting, The Maze Runner stands out from the crowded field of YA sci-fi adventures.”

The Maze Runner throws you into the world of Thomas – a confused teenage boy – from the outset you only know what he knows. The movie begins in a dark lift, Thomas doesn't know where he is and he has no memory of who he is or how he got there, immediately throwing the viewer into the confusion and action. Unlike the book, the film clings to the action throughout, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Gone are the boring, unexciting and unnecessary parts from the book and the result is an exciting, compelling film that follows the action and urgency of the Gladers in the Maze.
The grotesque creatures that live in the maze, known as Grievers, have been wonderfully created. Faithful to the descriptions Dashner gives in the book, they are disgusting and dangerous. I don't doubt for a second their ability to kill.
I was excited by the casting choices in The Maze Runner. I loved that the lesser known actors like Dylan O'Brien (Thomas) and Will Poulter (Gally) were used among some of the better known actors such as Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Newt). The casting for Newt was fantastic, I think Thomas Brodie-Sangster is brilliant in every role he takes on. He played Newt perfectly, just how I saw him in the book. Kaya Scodelario (Theresa) is an actress that I love to watch in all her roles, her casting is interesting to me because I didn't like the character of Theresa in the books but I think Kaya Scodelario's acting may change my opinion.
The set of The Maze Runner is phenomenal; the designers have truly captured the enormity of it. The sounds, the walls, and life in the Maze combine to create the Maze I saw in my mind as I read the book.
I was captivated from the beginning to the end. Although having read the book I already knew what to expect, everything was executed excellently allowing me to enjoy every aspect of the film. It was certainly faster paced than the book which can only be a good thing allowing to keep my attention throughout. The ending leaves you ready for the sequel, when all are released I think a marathon would work wonderfully.

Trivia: To prepare for shooting, director Wes Ball had the cast spend a night in the Glade set during boot camp.

The Maze Runner gets four stars from me.
It kept me on the edge of my seat and I felt involved with the characters. I do feel that there could have been more depth to the characters though.

I would recommend this to teens and young adults. Some parts could be considered frightening for children and adults may find the film somewhat 'childish' or perhaps predictable in places.

If you enjoyed 'The Hunger Games' (2012) or 'Divergent' (2014) you'll like this.

The Maze Runner is not yet available to buy, but you can see it in your local cinema.

The DVD should be available between January-April 2015.

You can find out more about The Maze Runner here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790864/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Watch the trailer:

You can read more of Bekah's book reviews by visiting her website
www.bekahcat.wordpress.com (~Jack~)

No comments:

Post a Comment