Friday 29 November 2013

Interviews Sara Lloyd-Gregory by DJ Forrest



When you took on the role of Alys for the new drama, was this something you had to learn, or are you a fluent in Welsh?

Sara: My first language is Welsh so I feel very lucky to be able to work in both Welsh and English. 'Alys' was written, by Siwan Jones, with me in mind for the title role... knowing that was the challenge!! But to receive the Best Actress BAFTA Cymru 2013 for 'Alys' feels like a seal of approval in a way! I feel very proud.


You’ve played quite a few characters that seem to suffer life’s hard knocks, such as your first drama about gang rape, to the drama ‘A Way of Life’ with Brenda Blethyn, even the role of Torchwood of Carys Fletcher, who was used by Eddie, are these types of roles a challenge, or are they physically or mentally exhausting putting that much feeling into a character?

Sara:  All the characters that I have played have been mentally and physically exhausting, but that's a sign of a good, hard day's work! I always look to challenge myself. It is important to me that I find the heart and soul of all my parts and so will daily feel tired, one way or the other. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In the series ‘Belonging’ you were working with Eve Myles again, obviously you weren’t ‘snogging’ in a cell but what were your roles in that series?  (I live in Scotland and I so miss BBC Wales programmes and S4C.)

Sara: No, in 'Belonging' I didn't have to snog Eve Myles (although I did have to snog another girl, as my character went through a confused/experimenting few months)! I played a teen called Nadine who went through some hard times including self harming. A very serious issue that affects so many people.

When Carys was swinging that spiked post or knuckled piece of wood during the ‘fight scene’ in the Hub with Captain Jack Harkness, how hard were you able to swing that, I often wonder when although I know the punching doesn’t actually make physical contact, although often face slapping does, I remember an interview (not with me) of Christian Bale having to endure being slapped by a Chinese woman in Empire of the Sun, just so the director could get the best tearful shot of him.  But when you make contact with a piece of wood, how hard were you able to go to make it look convincing enough.  (How hard did you hit Barrowman?)

Sara: I am a big fan of fight scenes! To have amazingly talented fight co-ordinators to work with is always so exciting. It's all about making it look real without harming anyone (hopefully)! I loved stage combat when I studied at RWCMD. The fight scene in Torchwood was particularly brilliant because I wasn't just a girl, I was a girl with an alien inside me that had to be stopped, so the fight was more aggressive but also showed glimpses of Carys wanting to surrender. I was a bit afraid of hitting John in the face though (...Can you imagine... The face)!!!!

From your list of credits on Wikipedia your dramas tend to centre around South Wales, would you take work outside of Wales?

Sara: Yes, I have worked a lot in South Wales, I would love to spread my wings! I recently finished shooting a film called 'Get Up & Go' in Dublin, which was a lot of fun, and have filmed tv dramas in London and Bristol so I have crossed the border!! I also tour with my Theatre work. I go wherever the work takes me, it's part of the adventure.

Do you come from an acting family, are your parents in the business, any brothers and sisters?

Sara:  My father and my uncle were a band called The Gregory Brothers, who sang around the clubs in the 70's and were regular faces on S4C (the welsh channel) until the 90's. I've been around cameras and studios since I was very young.

Is Alys out on DVD at all?

Sara: Unfortunately Alys isn't available on DVD as far as I know, and a lot of people ask me that. Contact S4C to find out.

When Carys was walking along the street looking for ‘men’ how was that shot filmed, as the camera seemed to be looking up at your face a lot, was it on a pully, a track?

Sara:  I'm glad you've asked about this. They had a steady cam attached to me and then let me go solo around Cardiff for 10 minutes or so at a time, recording myself as I went. It was the first time they'd tried it. The camera was really heavy, so they had to add weights behind me to balance the camera. Basically I had a camera in front of my face and weights behind, held together by thick straps on my body. If you notice a slight bounce on the shot, it's me walking... This could be the future, Actor and cameraman rolled into one! (Not really, cameramen are phenomenal).


On the set of Torchwood were there any funny scenes you can share with us that weren’t in the blooper reel?

Sara: One incident, not funny but will always stay with me, was half way through the fight scene with John at The Hub (when I back away from him with the hand before getting into the lift). John and I kept eye contact throughout, as we moved, and all of a sudden John's foot fell down a little gap in the set! We had to stop, get ice, twisted ankle, maybe postpone filming... I thought ''oh here we go, I've only been here five minutes and the lead actor's going to have an amputation''!! Thankfully not, always the trooper, we were back filming within the hour. Close one!

Where do you see yourself in the next five years? 

Sara: In the next five years I want to have achieved as much (if not more) as I have in the last five years. My ambition and love for acting is as strong as ever. My job is also my passion and to be able to say that is rare. I'm excited for the next challenge.

Questions from the fans

Hazel Stanton If you were to host a dinner party for five famous or inspirational people living or dead, who would you invite and why?

Sara:  Johnny Depp because... He needs no explanation! Alan Rickman because I think he is a tremendous actor with a fantastic voice, who could tell you a story or two. He inspires me. Marilyn Monroe because I read her biography the other month and she fascinates me. Michel Roux Jr because I love good food, so he could cook for us! And teach me how to make some of his dishes. And finally, Dylan Thomas. He, I imagine, would have quite a lot to say (and quite a lot to drink) so it would not be a dull night! This sounds like an amazing party!!!!     

Sam Hampson Director of Bad Blood: Will you be in my film? 

Sara: Thank you for the offer... Speak to my agent?!

Victoria Manson What was it like getting a snog off John Barrowman?

Sara Well, how many girls get to do snog John Barrowman?! He was very sensitive and told me that it would be a professional kiss (there's a 'non professional' version, I'll let you figure that out). More actors could take a leaf out of his book before a snogging scene!!

Pauline Howard What was it like working with the cast of Torchwood?

Sara: Working with the cast was wonderful. As I was in the first block of filming for the first series, we were all newbies to Torchwood. None of us knew what to expect so there was a lot of excited energy around!

Hazel Stanton How did you get the part in Being Human and were you aware of the show before your guest spot? Also what lasting memory do you have from your time on the show?

Sara: I had watched Being Human before being in it, and would have loved a part as a vampire. My agent called with a cameo role and said that it would be a 'Carrie' type part. As soon as they said dead ghost covered in blood I said "sign me up"!

Mickie Newton What type of roles do you most enjoy? The more mainstream kind of roles such as Carmel Coates in Doctors? Or roles in something like Sci fi/fantasy such as Torchwood and Being Human?

Sara: I love to play all kinds of different parts, the more genres I get to do the better. I've challenged myself from the beginning, from Shakespeare to a Torchwood Alien and a lot in between, where next? It's exciting!



Photo Source: 
© BBC Torchwood 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment