Wednesday 30 October 2013

Interviews Robert Shearman by Christopher Fain



My first experience with a Robert Shearman story was quite by accident and went unnoticed and unrealized.  I discovered him as a writer through the Doctor Who episode, "Dalek", which I thought was inordinately brilliant while containing one of the grittiest and darkest moments for the Doctor himself, made all the darker for the actor’s performance.  I'd watched the show as a child but came into the 9th Doctor's series several years after it aired and I quickly decided that if I had favorite episodes, "Dalek" was certainly one of them.

I didn't notice the name of the story's author.  More's the pity.

My second experience came through another happy accident.  Looking at Doctor Who fanart---some of which is unbelievably wonderful---I found a drawing of the 8th Doctor and a blonde female companion and was so captivated, I did the research into where this image had come from.  I had never heard of Big Finish Productions at that time and, upon discovering "Scherzo", I was taken captive.  Here, I paid attention to the author's name and found my way into other stories which fed my own education as a writer and as a fan of the Doctor’s adventures. 



"Scherzo", when listened to out of its story arc sequence and as the very first Doctor Who audio of my experience, was a revelation.  Having only the TV movie version of the 8th Doctor as my primer to his character, I found myself immediately understanding the emotions and music (no pun intended, really) of Rob Shearman's 8th Doctor.  I received all the proper shocks at his anger and his despair, gasped with his fear, and ached for his confessions.  I fell in love with Charley Pollard.

In seeking more of Shearman's audios, I found several; I saved most for later and careful rationing, having been given unfair biases about the 6th incarnation of our Time Lord hero.  Childhood memories of his episodes on television are spotty at best.

I listened to "The Chimes of Midnight" at a moment when I was meant to be asleep.  I put earphones on, pressed play, and prepared to be lulled into a pleasant fugue and onwards into dreams.  I'd already formed quite an attachment to the 8th Doctor and Charley, you see.

I spent the next two hours staring at the impenetrable black night with my fists gripping the duvet under my chin, hoping I was alone in that room.  Needless to say, perhaps, I didn't sleep well.

Sometimes, when I'm alone in the dark, I still hear that clock.

Rob Shearman has a beautiful online presence.  He's witty and personable and is unendingly humble.  He is, I think, an absentminded professor of sorts, but I've come to believe this is a trait shared among writers.  When you live in more than one universe at a time, how can you ever completely focus on one?

When I was given the opportunity to interview a writer who has written some of my favorite Doctor Who stories, both televised and audio, I did something very out of character.  I'm not given to effusive displays of delight over much of anything, but I had a fan moment.  All by myself, I punched the air and whooped, had a good long laugh and then wondered if there was anything I could possibly ask in an interview that might sound remotely intelligent.

The author of seven Big Finish stories for Doctor Who, Rob has also penned four books of original fiction, two television media-driven guidebooks, and a respectable number of plays.  Add to this growing list an episode, "Brother's Keeper", for the television show Born and Bred, created by Chris Chibnall and Nigel McCrery (2002-2005) and you have a writer who can cross the field of genres with relative ease.

Talking with Rob has been a real joy.  As a writer, I often feel as if I'm alone in my turmoil and that I must be the only one in the world who feels mystified by what comes out of my mind and through my fingers.  Conversations with other writers online often leave me feeling more troubled; writers are solitary creatures and while we revel in social media, we're not a group with endless scads of time or interest for personal dialogues with each other.  If we're successful, we're busy.  If we're not successful, we're still busy.  But, Rob has proven to be open and friendly and genuine and that is a real breath of fresh air. 

As a writer interviewing another writer, both of us fans of Doctor Who, I've had a ticklish pleasure with the process of deciding on questions for my very first interview.  I decided to ask the sorts of things I wanted to know.  As I read Rob's responses, I had a dozen reactions.  I laughed and I got teary, recognizing myself in a couple of his answers.  It's refreshing to look at the text and see a shy but smiling man peering back at me. 

Rob Shearman always makes me want to write.

With the often musical quality of your stories, do you also use music when writing?  If so, what is your favorite type (or artist) for writing?

Oh, yes - in fact, I find it extraordinarily difficult to write without music! First and second drafts of all I do are done in public - I walk around parts of London with a notebook and a pen, and I sit at theatre cafes or in art galleries or in parks and scribble away for a few paragraphs or scenes before I take off on my rambles once more! And when I'm doing that, the music acts as something comforting - I can look at the world about me but put my own soundtrack to it, something I know well enough that it won't distract me from the thinking, but know so well that I get bored of hearing it. Nothing with lyrics - it's not that I really believe the lyrics will end up in the text of what I'm writing, but they do direct the emotional response of what you're listening to pretty profoundly. So I put on a lot of ambient electronica, or modern classical music. If I'm in a nostalgic mood I might write to Jean Michel Jarre or Vangelis, because I loved their music as a teenager. If I'm being a bit bolder, I go for Philip Glass, or Arvo Part, or Max Richter - they usually jog the brain on pretty successfully!

What is your favorite body horror story (movie, book, etc) and has it influenced your writing?

I do end up writing a lot of body horror. Not gory stuff - I don't like descriptions of blood and things that should stay on the inside. (And I am very squeamish about that sort of horror anyway - violence is something I squirm at if I'm watching a movie.) I think the influence for me is more absurdist than that - I'm drawn to stories in which the body shape might get altered, or people transform into something entirely different. Some of the best stories for this are in Greek mythology - there's always some god or another chasing after a nymph who takes some refuge in becoming a flower. And when I was a child I was utterly entranced by retellings of The Odyssey, and the sequence in which Circe the enchantress turned his crew into pigs she could eat. I loved that - it's utterly horrific, and patently surreal, but also strangely seductive. I suppose the most influential body horror novel I've read in my adult life is the manga comic Uzumaki by Junji Ito, in which a town's inhabitants start becoming obsessed with the shape of spirals, and start distorting their bodies accordingly. Some wrap themselves around the insides of washing machines, or become snails. It's so bizarre, and so strange, and unnerved me like nothing I've read since.

Many writers have their little pre-writing rituals and routines which prepare them for a focused block of work.  Do you have a routine you follow, gearing up for a story?  How do you prepare?

Oh yes - and I've already hinted at it a bit! I don't like writing early drafts of anything in my office. My office feels like a place of work, or of Facebook browsing - either way, it distracts me or makes me feel like I'm doing homework! Anything I can do to avoid making writing seem a chore is good for me. I live half an hour's bus ride from my favourite view of London, which is at Waterloo Bridge - in both directions down the Thames it's just stunning. So I go there to write. I decide I should go somewhere that makes me happy. I write in the exact same type of notebook - I've been using the same orange-ish exercise books from WHSmith for over twenty years - and I like to pretend that it's because I can accurately work out the word count or the timing of a scene from that, but really it's just superstition. I drink a lot of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. And, for the last year, if I can get to sit at a certain table at the National Theatre on the South Bank for at least a part of the writing day, I find that makes me happy.

Which Doctor is your favorite to write for? Why?

Ah, I don’t know! That's hard. I wrote for three of the Doctors properly - two for Big Finish audio, and one on the telly. (I did a bit of David Tennant in prose, but that doesn’t count in the same way to me - I know David, but never got to see him perform any of my words!)

I worked with Colin first, and that was wonderful. He’s such an intelligent and generous actor, and he cares about Doctor Who deeply. I think it’s fair to say that when BF began the other actors playing the Doctor were happy to build upon their TV performances, but Colin knew there was so much room to explore new facets of his character, so writing for him was genuinely exhilarating. The sixth Doctor is so warm and playful behind his brash exterior, and I think he’s the Doctor I slot into most easily. He was never *my* Doctor on screen - I was more a Davison fan - but I remember him well, and he satisfies my nostalgic pangs whilst not merely feeling as if I’m writing out my childhood!

But the Eighth Doctor is extraordinary to write for. Partly because he was so much a blank slate when I came to him - when I wrote my first audio for him nothing except the TV Movie was out there, and really all the writers took was that fresh energy that Paul McGann brought - and his easy rapport with India Fisher. I *loved* writing dialogue for the Doctor and Charley. In Chimes of Midnight finding that loving friendship seemed like the easiest thing in the world for me to find - and then subverting it and confronting it a year later in Scherzo was a joy because I *knew* how well Paul and India would respond.

And then there’s Chris Eccleston. To be in at the creation of an all new Doctor was so thrilling. I wrote, I think, four drafts of Dalek before Chris was cast, and writing a Doctor blind is actually fascinating - you have to abandon all the tics and mannerisms you associate with an established interpretation and just write it for real. And Chris rewarded me by *playing* it real too. When I first saw his take on that scene where he first meets the Dalek it was so raw and urgent that it struck me as wrong - this was Chris playing it without all the ironic reserve I had written, and performing a man confronted with his worst nightmare. It’s at such moments like that when an actor teaches you how to write better.

But - long answer, sorry! - I find myself coming back to Colin. He had such a very rough ride on television - he inherited the part of the Doctor at a time when the show was in a state of flux, and when the BBC no longer felt they wanted it any more. And the Big Finish audios came along and gave Colin the chance to show what had been squandered. Colin is such a very intelligent actor, and that's a joy of it - you know he'll work hard on the script, trying to tease out the reasons you wanted to write it, its themes and concerns. My very first Big Finish play was written back in 2000, and I was astonished by just how much passion Colin brought to it. I'd always want to write for Colin again. I'm thinking a return to the world of Big Finish may be long overdue - it's been nearly a decade since I wrote any Doctor Who. If I came back, yeah, Colin would always be my first choice.

If you were going to write a 12th Doctor script, what would you want to focus on for theme and time period?  Which alien or trouble might our hero and his companion(s) meet?

Oh, it's honestly so hard to say. But one of the amazing things about Doctor Who these days is just its extraordinary *breadth*. It is such a hugely popular show now. When I was on it, three entire Doctors ago, there was no reason to believe it would become the extraordinary hit it is now. I think if you get the gig for the TV series now you need to think big and ambitious. (And perversely, I'd probably try and do something very big and ambitious in as claustrophobic a setting as I could imagine!)

What books/authors have influenced your writing?

I remain a huge fan of Asterix books. They not only introduced me to a world of clever puns and brilliant comedy, but they showed me that some of the best work in the world is in *translation*. My own particular hobby is trying to collect and read as much obscure foreign literature as possible, and if I'm on holiday abroad I spend as much time as I can browsing bookshops finding the sorts of gems I'd never get to see back in England. It honestly pains me to think of all the extraordinary work around the world that I'll never get to see because we are so parochial about different cultures!

As a child I fell in love with Roald Dahl - both his very frightening children's books and his wonderful adult short stories. Every kid I've ever shared Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with *knows*, in a way adults never quite realise, that all the children who fail Willy Wonka's tests die horribly. Yes, there's a bit at the end which shows they all survived. That's just to make mummy and daddy sleep better at night. As a teenager my favourite author was Thomas Hardy - I wanted to be grown up and find a classical author to cherish, and Hardy did everything I needed - really depressing plots and people suffering through the most appalling twists and turns of plot!

Do you ever experience writer's block?

I'm not sure. It depends on what writer's block is. It's so easy to get frightened of writing. You know that however much you plan something, the words you choose to write at any given moment will be completely different from the words you'd use half an hour later. And that makes it scary because there's always a random element to writing - and the certain knowledge that if you'd only written your story on a different day, at a different time, with a different bottle of Coke Zero to sip on, it'd be better.

And that knowledge can cause you to freeze. And you simply can't let it.  The secret of writing is mostly in timing - you need to write a story when it's cooked in your head, but not too long before or too long after or you ruin the flavour. It's very hard to work out when that is. And it can cause you to hesitate, and never want to start writing at all. But writing *anything* is usually a better thing to do than writing *nothing* - because at the end of the day nothing is a big fat zero.

The most difficult part is when you lose a sense of why you want to write, and whether you have anything to say. And then you might find yourself waiting until you can answer that. I did once wait for nearly a year between writing things - I was changing, and I didn't really know what I was changing into, and I wanted to find out before ruining some good ideas I had. Was that writer's block? Maybe. But I found out what I wanted to say, and - more importantly - why I wanted to say it, in the end.

Do you create an outline before you write or do you go into the first lines already having an idea of what you want to say?

It depends what it is. If I'm writing a script, an outline is terribly helpful - a scene by scene breakdown keeps me on the straight and narrow and stops me rambling. Indeed, I regard that scene breakdown as one of the most creative parts of the writing process - I can't pretend it's just a preamble to the dialogue stage, it's just as exciting!

But for short stories I allow myself a lot more freedom. I hate knowing entirely how a story is going to end. By the time I get to it, it'll always feel too predictable, and I can hear my characters say to me, with scorn, "What, really? *This* is what you've been leading us to?" So long as you know what the theme and the purpose of the story is, and are true to the characters you create, it's great to have the actual plot remain something you can surprise yourself with.

Have you ever hated something you wrote?  Care to share?

Oh, frequently. You pass through a phase of indifference with most things you've written, I think. You put so much work into a project, that at the end of it, when you've got this little bunch of words, it can feel just a little trivial. Then, if the work gets acclaimed, you get resentful of the attention it's getting, because the unwritten stories in your head are so much *better* and the ones that'll prove to you you're not a fraud. (That's the curse of being a writer. You'd like to believe in your head you're this great creative genius, but there are all these pesky bits of work out there for sale which prove differently! But the stuff in your head is just sensational.) The work that gets attacked you feel a little protective of, like it's a sick child, and then after a while you begin to get a bit embarrassed by it, and assume that the critics were right, and you hide the sick child away in some darkened nursery where no one can see it. And in some instances, if you're lucky, you pass out the other side - something is now *so old* that it no longer feels like it was yours at all. And you can enjoy it on its own terms without any of that baggage.

For example, I went to see a play of mine being performed recently. There was an amateur dramatic company a few hundred miles away putting on a production of White Lies. It was a comedy I wrote back in 1994, and I haven't seen it for years - this strange piece about a married couple both falling in love with the same imaginary friend. And it had been a play I'd once loved, then grown to dislike, and had now more or less forgotten. I thought I'd treat myself. I caught the train to see this play in a village hall one Sunday - lots of connections, it took hours! And the cast did a lovely job with it. I sat through it not knowing what would happen next, and laughing at some of the funny lines, and really rather admiring it. And realising who I had been when I was twenty-three, and wondering whether I was very much a stranger now.

So, long answer to simple question. Yes, you hate some things you write. And sometimes that's with good reason. But after a while your perspective changes. And I'd hate to damn something I've written now that I might end up quite enjoying later!

What is your favourite theme/genre to write about?

I like writing about ordinary people having to deal with extraordinary circumstances. The more extraordinary the circumstance, the better! It doesn't have to be absurd. Falling in love is one of the most extraordinary things when you come to think of it - the way the heart suddenly opens up and makes you feel so vulnerable! But something should happen which challenges a character out of what they expect as the norm. It's the basis for all good comedy, or horror, or drama. I just like to take that, and twist it as far as I can.

When you are writing, do you ever feel as if you are one of the characters?  Do you put yourself in their shoes for perspective?

Oh yes, I think so. Inevitably.  And it's one of the reasons why I never think characters should get too overwhelmed by plot. Because in real life, plot is just Stuff That Happens, but it’s our reactions to it which are complex. I think if you're writing about an incident - an argument, a declaration of love, a murder - you have to ask yourself how *you* would really react in the very deliberate circumstances you have set up. You very rarely would respond in a clichéd way. So you go with that response, however contradictory or unexpected it may be. The truth is, we are all deeply contradictory and unexpected people. If you remember that, and deal with that in a sincere way, that's your story.

It's one of the reasons why writing Doctor Who is so tricky. Because the Doctor reacts as a hero, in a totally predictable manner. You have to find good reasons for breaking that. Otherwise you're just left with something very bland.

What inspired you to want to spend your life writing fiction?

I grew up in a house with a lot of books. It just seemed to me the most natural thing in the world to want to add to their number.

What book are you reading now?

I've just started a terrific novel called Fame by Daniel Kehlmann. Still not sure what it's about. I expect I'll find out soon!

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Oh, there are so many. I know that sounds vague, but it's true. I love reading debut novels. There's a writer I met a year ago in New Zealand called Eleanor Catton, whose first novel was stupendous. Her second, The Luminaries, has just been shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. And once in a while you get to see writers working on their first books and producing something truly amazing. The editor of my first Canadian book was writing her debut collection of short stories as she was helping me with mine. I felt privileged to be in at the birth of a really astounding book, and I got to write the introduction. Hair Side Flesh Side it's called, and it's by Helen Marshall - it's magical and disturbing, and I was very jealous of it!

What are your current projects?

Lots of things, Too many things, probably!

I'm currently writing an interactive radio series for the BBC called Chain Gang. It's a very odd thing - every Saturday a new episode is broadcast, ending on a cliffhanger. That leaves the audience four whole days to come up with what they think should happen next - huge challenging things that will make the following instalment unexpected. On Thursday the BBC give me a shortlist of the best synopses offered - the best, and most difficult! - and I have the day to write that episode. It's recorded on the Friday with the actors and the sound designers; on the Saturday it goes out to the world.

And so the process begins again!

It's enormously fun to do, but really rather scary. This Saturday an episode will go out with my name on, and I have literally no idea what to write for it yet. (And the other name on it will be the person who submitted the synopsis we use - they get a co-credit!) But I like being drawn to crazy ideas.

At the same time I'm coming to the end of my latest collection of short stories. There are a hundred of them, and again the audience has an interactive relationship with them - at the end of each story there are a series of five or six questions about your reactions to what you've just read, and according to which answer you give, you'll be sent off to read the next story. It's like a big Choose Your Own Adventure, really, and there's only one correct order in which you can read everything! (If you want to see how I'm getting on, I've released sixty of the hundred stories on the internet for a limited time - at justsosospecial.com.) And the fun is that you try to cover the whole range of what stories can do - there'll be horror, there'll be sci fi, comedy, romance... You won't know what to expect next!

And there's also a novel. And a stage play. And some TV work soon, I think. It's all a bit hectic. But it's good to work!

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I think what I want to do is just give the reader a reason to make it on to the next paragraph. I don't want anyone to get bored. I spent my first ten years as a writer in the theatre - and you are exposed first hand there to audience reaction. You sit there in the dark, anonymously, and you can hear around you the unmistakable signs of people getting fed up - it's not just coughing or fidgeting, it's something in the very atmosphere. I tell you, you do *anything* to avoid sitting through that. You put in more jokes, you cut out more lines, you get the actors juggling if need be. And when I moved into radio, and then TV, and then books - I knew that I could no longer see that critical audience shuffling and yawning, but I could still imagine them. I know I get boring once in a while. But I try hard not to! That's the challenge. You can write any type of story you want - it can be very serious and solemn if you like - but you have to entertain.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I love books. Too much. I have a collection of about 18,000 of them - I can't resist it, I'm addicted to bookshops, second hand or new, and rescuing anything off the shelves that looks interesting. I read all the time, and I honestly have maybe a hundred favourite writers, people I would drop *everything* so I could read, people I try to learn from (and steal from). So this is pretty hard.

In genre terms, though, I think Stephen King is extraordinary. And much underrated, because he commits the crime of being commercially so successful. But he's a truly brilliant storyteller - and what makes him so readable is that he has a terribly amiable narrative voice. The situations he writes about are frequently disturbing as hell, but he leads you into the pit with a friendly squeeze of the hand. It's incredibly difficult to do that, especially with horror, which is traditionally rather acerbic or repellent. And there's no one out there - no one - who writes about being a child as well as King.

Outside genre, my favourite writer of all is probably Julian Barnes. He's written over a dozen novels now, and you literally can never predict what the man will come up with next. A history of the world as seen by a woodworm on Noah's ark - or a real life Victorian courtroom drama featuring Conan Doyle - or a complex dissection of a love triangle - or a heartbreaking memoir about the death of his wife and his own thoughts about mortality. He's a genius. I've been reading all his books faithfully since I was fourteen years old, and I always get excited to see what he'll surprise me with next. I once sat opposite him on an underground train, and didn't dare say hello to him, not for twelve whole stations - I'd have loved to have told him how much his work meant to me, but I'm shy.

Do you have any advice for the unpublished science fiction writer? 

Oh, advice is always easy! And every time I set out to write, I try to remind myself of the four things I always tell everybody. They make me feel better.

The first is, that to be a writer you often write bad things. That’s okay. It’s part of it. The only writers who don’t write bad things are the ones who aren’t trying hard enough. Dear God, I’ve written some of the most dreadful bilge, you’d never even believe. And knowing that what we produce can sometimes be bilge can be a bit of a scare. But you know what? Even though I have written stage plays put before paying audiences who would have been bored out of their minds, even though I’ve conceived prose so tortuous it seems like it’s been translated out of Serbo-Croat first… no one has ever died from reading it. No one. Not a single fatality. If I had off days as a doctor, that might be a problem. But as a writer? We do bad things sometimes. Everyone gets over it. Nothing to be frightened of.

The second thing is to make your brain think that writing is fun. As I say, for me that involves writing outside, sitting in art galleries, sitting in museums, walking with my notebook in the park with my favourite music playing on the iPod. For you, it can be something else, anything else - you just have to find out what. If you find writing in a cramped office depressing, leave the office. Find the best way that you can persuade your brain you’re enjoying yourself. Don't make the joy of creation feel like homework.

Thirdly, finish what you start. Even if that is painful. I know so many people who have half-finished novels in their cupboards. They have so many half-finished novels that they might have the word count for half a dozen *completed* novels right there - but because they never finish them, because they get disillusioned, in their heads they think they've never really written *anything*. Finish the first novel. Even if it's bad. Particularly if it's bad, because first novels are supposed to be bad! The act of finishing something gives you a thrill regardless, and the psychological strength to go on to the next. Never let your paranoia stop you from getting the experience of that.

And lastly, even if you produce something *you* like, someone else won’t. It’s scary putting work out before the public, because *nothing* is liked by everybody - and if it were, it’d be bland. The thing to remember is that even if you get criticism, you’ve created something that’s entirely yours and wouldn’t exist without your effort. Celebrate that. Be proud.

What is the most important lack in your life?

The confidence to put into practice all the four pieces of advice I gave above.

Out of all the works you've produced for the public, which is the story you love the most?  What makes you proud of it?

I'm proud of the books most, I think. It took me so many years to write a book - my first was when I was 37, and I felt like such a fraud doing it, because in my head only *real* writers wrote books. Only real writers got to see their names on the spine of a hardback. I got terribly lucky - that first book of short stories won the World Fantasy Award, and I suddenly realised what a joy the whole prose writing thing was.

I don't love any particular story more than another, truth be told - I just love the fact there are books out there I've written, and after all these years, I'm still not ashamed to give them a good sniff now and then, and stroke my cheeks with them. I tell you, there's no better feeling in the world than a cheek stroking from a book with your name on the cover.


If you want to read (or hear) any of Rob Shearman's writings, then check out some of the links below.  I think you'll be pleased for the experience.  There is something to be said for a writer who can reveal human foibles and emotions in a way that draws you close, as if you're living within the story itself.







Currently playing on BBC Radio 4 Extra is Rob’s story in audio serial format, http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/chaingang; you should definitely give it a listen and see if you can come with an idea or two of your own.  Who knows, you might get to help write the story!

Or you can find a copy of his newest book, a series of short stories called Remember Why You Fear Me from ChiZine PublicationsIt’s up for a World Fantasy Award!  You can find a copy here: http://chizinepub.com/books/remember-why-you-fear-me.php

You can also find Rob on Twitter and Facebook.



Picture Sources:
Personal Photo; Rob Shearman.
“Take My Hand Anyway”, by Harbek; http://harbek.deviantart.com/ (check this artist out; a real talent for portraits and scenarios, excellent Doctor Who!)



No comments:

Post a Comment