Friday 30 August 2013

The Mothership The Dalek Debate


I thought I'd gauge some public responses over the times when the Daleks have 'killed' or attempted to kill our favourite Time Agents and Time Lords and thought I'd ask:

What were your thoughts when Captain Jack Harkness was zapped by the Dalek in "The Parting of the Ways" (before he was brought back) because to me I'd never heard of John Barrowman before this time.  So to me he was another character who would invariably be bumped off somewhere along the line, so it didn't faze me as much as perhaps say losing Rose Tyler or the Doctor.

So the next question is how you felt when the 10th Doctor was zapped by a Dalek and supposedly killed, given that he was beginning to regenerate. Did you suddenly think, shit, they kept that quiet!!!

These are the views of those who posted on our Facebook page but obviously we’d like to hear your views to both these questions, so let’s keep this thread going.

Christopher Fain I felt heartache for Jack, even though I didn't know who he would become, in the future, because I saw the hero he'd become while with the Doctor and Rose. I saw his truly selfless bravery and cheered him on. He was everything the 9th Doctor needed in a male companion---tough enough for the horrors and yet intelligent and romantic. He was, in that moment, everything that a Dalek is not. My real pain with Jack's death in that episode comes from how the Doctor treated it. It took me a while to accept the reasons why the Doctor would panic and leave Jack behind. Until I did accept, I saw it as a terrible betrayal.

Jess Emma Towey Jack, for me was the new companion I hoped we'd see more of. He was new and fresh and had all the traits of a decent character, he was popular with fans of all ages and at that moment when he got hit by the Dalek my heart stopped I thought how could they present us with this perfect companion and then end his reign before we really got to know him.

When the doctor was zapped I was shocked I thought Tennant was making a sudden exit we hadn't heard about, then having to wait a week to find out what was going on they really had us hanging on for conclusion. I’m glad it was a Dalek as they are oldest and most feared of the Time Lords enemies iconic and still scaring the life out kids as they did when I was younger, if he'd died at the hands of a Cyberman I would've been very disappointed.
Just glad in the end both stories had a happy ending


No comments:

Post a Comment