Friday 26 July 2013

Reviews Magazine The Mind's Eye by Kirsty Price


Issue #24
Torchwood Magazine
Written by James Goss
Artwork by Adrian Salmon

Being an avid reader, the title and Illustrations did not draw me in to read as I found them quite boring looking, the only thing I liked about the art was the fact that his drawing of Ianto actually looked like him, where the other drawings Adrian did of other characters looked nothing like them at all.  However reading the first paragraph I was instantly drawn in. The bravery of Ianto one of my favourite characters is offering to investigate an unknown school building in Canton.  The second paragraph at first gave the impression Ianto was visiting his local AA meeting, its only further on in the paragraph you realise it’s actually a meeting for poetry writers/lovers (which sounds mind numbingly boring to me) Ianto tries to fit in with a silly little poem which makes me chuckle, but it doesn’t work as everyone seems to stare at him.  It is then we are told of the oncoming danger, and the story despite being short starts to become more interesting and I am intrigued to learn more.

We find that the danger comes from within and we find that no matter what, Jack cares deeply for every member of his team as he races to rescue Ianto the moment he screams.

With Gwen and Jack fighting to rescue him Ianto lays unconscious unable to fight the hidden danger till Jack manages to get into the building and halt the whole thing. In the end all is well with only one last person willing to fight for the cause of evil, which doesn’t work, and TORCHWOOD win again striding off into the night. The story is well written, getting more interesting towards the middle and end. In short if this was a short snippet from a book I would definitely buy it as it is a good read in itself.


More please James Goss!

2 comments:

  1. Makes me curious. Where can I get the story to read? Are the TW anywhere to get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebay is a good source for past issues of the magazine but they don't come cheap, and most seem to be in America. I'm keen to buy up the magazines too if you do manage to source any, but I'll also keep my ears and eyes open for any where other than Ebay

    ReplyDelete